Tuesday, May 24, 2011

I Like To Move It, Move It



Unlike many of my fellow travelers on this journey to health, I don't really have much of a problem saying 'NO' to eating past my calorie limit or making healthier food choices. I am not obsessed with food. I am not constantly hungry, nor do I have THAT hard of a time overcoming temptation when it comes to sweets or other snacks.

What I do have a problem with is Movement.

Not all the time, but a lot of the time. I know that it is mostly because of how out of shape I am in. And, I know that the more I move, the easier it will be and the better I will feel. However, I have a hard time getting myself psyched up to just get up off my butt and begin.

I know that I am not the only one who feels this way, so how can we overcome these feelings of laziness?

1. Upbeat Music - There is nothing like some great, fast paced dance music to get my mind in gear to begin to move. If you love music and / or love to dance, make up a playlist of your favorite songs and see how fast you get motivated to shake your booty!

2. Get Dressed! - While I'm not suggesting working out in your favorite pair of jeans, wearing your pajamas all day certainly is not very motivating. As long as I'm still in my PJ's the only thing I feel like doing is going back to bed! Put on something that you do not associate with lounging or bed time. Make these your official Work Out Clothes. Choose something that is fun, comfortable and easy to move in. Just stay out of those pajamas!

3. Be Accountable To Someone Other Than Yourself - If left to my own devices, I may have just given up on exercising. And though I do not have anyone close by to be accountable to, I do have friends on the internet at MyFitnessPal and on Facebook who are on their own journey to health and wellness. By having a supportive group of people (or even ONE person) to encourage you and cheer you on, you will be less likely to fall off the wagon when it comes to sticking to your exercise plan.

4. Be Someone's Motivator! - There is nothing more motivating than motivating someone else on their own fitness journey! Be an example to someone and teach them to never give up, to keep on keeping on and to continuously strive to do everything they can to do their best every day! Your actions and achievements can play a big part in someone else's success.

5. Set Smaller Goals! - Even if you only get in 15 minutes of some type of extra movement in a day, at least it was 15 minutes more than doing nothing! Don't let yourself get discouraged because you can't keep up with the trainers on the DVD or that you can only do the modified version of an aerobics workout. The more that you try, the better you will get. When you are able to complete an entire 30-45 minute workout without having to stop for a breather for the first time, it is very encouraging! Add only 5 extra minutes per day (or week!) to your workout until you are able to accomplish at least 30 minutes of constant movement.

6. Celebrate Small Victories! - You don't have to wait until you have reached your goal weight to celebrate a victory! By setting smaller goals for yourself you will have many more victories to celebrate! Did you set a goal to move for at least 30 minutes per day for a week? When you reach that goal, reward yourself! (But, not with FOOD!)
Take a long, hot bubble bath, get your hair cut, go out with the family or with friends, do something good for yourself as a reward for sticking to your goal all week. And then do it again next week!

7.) Don't Be So Hard On Yourself! - If you skip a day and are feeling discouraged - Stop It! Whatever is in the past is in the past. Adopt the One Day At A Time Attitude. Heck, adopt the One Hour At A Time Attitude if you have to! Just forget it and move on!

8.) Switch It Up A Bit! - Unless you really enjoy doing the same thing every day, keep motivated by doing a variety of different things to get your exercise. Walking, Yoga, Pilates, a variety of different Cardio DVDs, Strength Training... make a schedule of doing different things and you will never be bored with your workout.

9. Take Your 'Before' Measurements & Pictures! - I promise you that once you have developed the habit of moving every day and you start seeing small changes in your body, you will be motivated to move even more. And you will also have a tool to use in motivating others later on!

10. Have Faith - Remember that faith is believing in something that you have not seen. You should always keep a picture in your mind of what your ultimate goal is in this journey to a healthier, happier you. Believe in yourself and what you are capable of. No matter how long it takes, you CAN make the changes in your life to accomplish your goal of becoming more healthy and fit. Picture the you that you are becoming and know that each day that you stay committed to your plan, the close you are getting to achieving that goal.

How do you keep yourself motivated to Move It?

No comments:

Post a Comment